In this post I will outline the main reasons for getting a chipped XBOX. These are just my personal opinions and reasons, if you have any other topics to add do feel free to comment on them!
A modchip is simply a replacement for the original Microsoft BIOS used in the XBOX. The BIOS is the code that first runs when booting a computer or XBOX, and it runs a number of checks on hardware among other things. Once these tasks are completed, it proceeds to load the operating system (the dashboard). Installing a modchip is essentially replacing the BIOS with an altered version, making a lot of things possible, as we shall see below.
- The ability to successfully change the hard-drive is only made possible if one is able to boot from a custom DVD
- Native HD-resolutions inside some applications are only available through using a modchip
- Accessing Windows networks and shares is only made possible through the use of a modchip
- The process of copying files between a computer and an XBOX through FTP is only possible with a modchip
- Alternatives to XBOX Live are made available through a modchip (although the original XBOX Live still works)
- Running unsigned code (such as backed up or copied games) is made possible through a modchip
- Using packages such as the Auto-Installer Deluxe enables the installation of a host of different tools and applications
- Running Linux on your XBOX is possible with a modchip (although it also is possible without)
The bottom-line is that there really are not disadvantages to installing and using a modchip. As chip-installations are fairly cheap today, you can very easily send your XBOX to a company and get it chipped without having to pay a lot.
The possibilities are endless with a modchip, go get your XBOX chipped now :) !